3.28.2010

Chinatown Birthday

Friend Kate (and occasional "Voice of Meat" on this very blog) celebrated her birthday this weekend with a group dinner at Phoenix in Chinatown. Not only is Chinatown a short 10-minute bus ride down Cermak for me, but I feel strongly that, at least within my group of friends, C-town is majorly underutilized. I was happy to join the birthday girl and friends on this outing.

The birthday girl and her stylish man, Desi, sparking like a new pair of diamond earrings.

We had a private room with this awesome "Lazy Susan", which to me, looked like a giant hamburger bun. Lazy Susan is such a weird name for this device but we all agreed, we each need one of these on our tables at home.

Everyone ordered Mai Tai's, which were extremely tart but a hit. I stuck with Tsing Tao, my fav Chinese beer.

Carmen's hair looked awesome.

Dumplings. Delicious. I didn't get a pic of the crab rangoon but it was a favorite for most at the table.

More mai tais.

The crew, lazy susan'ing. We ordered family style - Kung Pao Chicken, Broccoli and Beef, Sweet and Sour Pork, Crispy Tofu with Spicy Salt, Veggie Fried Rice, & Veggie Lo Mein. (check out Chris in this shot, super excited for the eats)

The Crispy Tofu with Spicy Salt was interesting - the exterior was crunchy but the tofu itself was extremely soft. I loved it. Others, not so much.

Post-Phoenix we headed to Joy Yee's Noodles for some bubble tea.

This was my first bubble tea shake with tapioca pearls and I have to say, I am now a fan. Their jelly-like texture and mild flavor were oddly addictive. This was banana-coconut with green tapioca.

Micah is probably the #1 fan of my blog so here he is for all my readers to see. This is what success looks like.

Leaving Chinatown, we saw this amazing piece of cartwork (artwork that appears on the exterior of the car). I wish they had added "I'm just hanging out" below Garfield.

Later that night, we celebrated Earth Hour at Kate's apartment by lighting candles and turning off all the lights from 8:30 - 9:30. It was romantic.

The city, as seen on my trek home from the Ashland Pink Line Station. A nice view and perfect end to a great night. Happy birthday Kate!

Phoenix Restaurant
2131 S Archer Avenue
Chicago, IL 60616
312-328-0848
ChinatownPhoenix.com

Joy Yee's Noodles
2159 S. China Place
Chicago IL, 60616
312-842-8928
JoyYee.com

6 comments:

Tim said...

Nice. More pictures from Rudy here.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2051273&id=1072807996&ref=mf

kjp said...

super awesome evening... thanks everyone!

Stevie said...

micah is amazing. happy bday kate!!

SharkAttaq said...

I threw up 4 times after this meal.

Kelly said...

I was there in spirit - did you notice?! Happy Birthday Kate - great post Shan!

xoxo

Pirate Zehra said...

mmm that all looks so good.