3.21.2010

Cheap Eats: Curry Fava Bean Soup with Tomatoes

On my weekly trip to El Guero, my local Mexican grocery store, among almost an entire aisle of dried beans, I saw a small bag of what looked like yellow lima beans. The label said "Habas" and a few cups set me back $1.08. While I wasn't sure what exactly these were, I couldn't beat the price and I've yet to meet a bean I didn't like. They went into my cart.

Back home, a quick google search told me these were fava beans. Score! I'd eaten fresh fava beans on a trip to Portugal once, but never prepared them dry and wanted to stretch these for meals during the week, so I decided on a hearty spring soup. Really, this colorful dish walks the fine line between winter and spring, just like our crazy weather this weekend.

Curried Fava Bean and Tomato Soup with Arugula "pesto"

One large white onion
2 cups dried fava beans "habas"
2 Tbsp tomato paste
One large can diced tomatoes
2-3 cups stock
2 cloves garlic
One cup corn
One cup petite peas
Curry powder, salt & pepper, red pepper flakes, horseradish powder
Crumbled cheese for garnish

for the Arugula "pesto"
2 cups Arugula
2 tbsp Mayo
Olive oil
Garlic
Water

arugula garnish

1) Soak the fava beans in a bowl of warm water for 1-2 hours. You can skip this step but the beans will take longer to cook.
2) Bring stock to a boil, add the Favas!
3) Dice onion and saute until translucent, add peas, corn and garlic. Cook until tender.
4) When beans begin to soften, add the onion mixture to the pot, along with extra stock, diced tomatoes and the tomato paste. Let simmer for 20 minutes, until the flavors meld.
5) Add spices, simmer 5-10 minutes longer
6) For garnish - combine arugula and ingredients in food processor and pulse into desired consistency is reached.
7) Ladle into bowls and let spring begin!

No comments: