2.28.2010

Chile Chili

It seems like, as the winter marches on, I only want to eat soup or stews. That's it. Screw salads, toss out the sandwiches, forget nachos (yeah, I said it) and just give me a steaming bowl of hot deliciousness. But I've found myself bored with my standard vegetarian chili recipe. It never seems to have that intense flavor that I want so I took a trip to my local El Guero, and picked up a bag of dried pulla chiles. The small red chile has a sharp bite and before rehydrating, you'll want to chop off the stem and shake out the seeds, which contain the real heat, unless extremely hot inedible food is your thing.

I found that the addition of real chiles in my chili, really took my standard bowl of tomatoes and veggies over the edge (that's a good thing).

Pulla Chile Chili

one bag pulla chiles (about 12-15 chili pods)
3 stalks celery
3-4 cloves of garlic
small 8oz can of tomato sauce
a couple squeezes of tomato paste
one small onion
one can of black beans
one can of corn
cumin

garnish: crushed Saltines, chopped cilantro, sour cream, and lots of chedda' cheese!

1. Remove stems and seeds from dried chiles. (careful - don't touch your eyes or face until washing hands. the heat stays with you)

2. Place chile pods in boiling water, seasoned with veggie or chicken stock, salt, cumin, celery, chopped onion & garlic and tomato paste


4. Boil for about 15 - 20 minutes and puree in food processor, until chiles and onions are soft


5. Pour mixture into large saucepan, add corn, beans, season to taste and serve! (If mixture is too thick, add stock until you reach the desired consistency)

5 comments:

Pirate Zehra said...

Yum that looks sooo good! Make some and mail to me stat!

Jinks said...

Take back what you said about Nachos!

Charles said...

the cover photo is beautiful and i miss the food smells... and the animals

Shannon Darling Dearest said...

@PirateZehra - Ok!

@Jinks - Never!

@Charles - You're welcome to come over anytime for some food and loving from Smash!

Shannon Darling Dearest said...
This comment has been removed by the author.