2.22.2010

Armando in the Kitchen



Name: Armando
Age: 29
Occupation: Lover
Resides in: Ukie Village, Chicago

1. Fav restaurant in Chicago - brand spankin' new or an old stand by:

Kuma's Corner. I'm 2/3 through their burger menu and the make your own mac n cheese isn't too shabby either. Oh yeah, did I mention their beer list? I already know which burger is next on my list. Led Zeppelin will be conquered soon!

2. If you could have dinner with any chef or food personality, who would it be and where would you go?:

Lidia Bastianich. I get excited every Saturday morning because I love watching the cooking shows on PBS. I considered Rick Bayless but he seems kinda corny, although certainly the food would be terrific. Lidia, on the other hand, seems cool and would be fun to hangout with in the kitchen. My exposure to Italian cuisine is minimal at best. Lidia's Italy is a great show and make me curious about trying more Italian food. Also, importantly she always pairs wine with all of her meals. It would be awesome just to hang around her kitchen drinking wine and listening to records while she makes dinner.

3. What hasn’t been battered and fried that you think should be?

Yes Please! Hmmm, I have to think about this one. Fried peanut butter and jelly sandwiches sound pretty freakin' amazing or how about a piece of chocolate cake. Could be lovely, don't you think? I have a feeling someone somewhere in the world may have already tried either though. Too bad The Prodigal Son had to go and burn down.

*Footnote* The Prodigal Son was a great dive bar in Lincoln Park that had free baskets of bacon on Wednesday nights. They also allowed you to bring in any food you wanted and would drop it in their deep fryer for you.

4. What’s in your freezer that you should have gotten rid of 2 years ago?:

I have an open bag of corn in my freezer that I brought with me to my new apartment. I'm throwing it out right now. I swear.

5. What's the one food item in your pantry you can't live without? For instance, Ranch dressing or perhaps Nutella.

Almonds, a handful goes a long way and they're good for you.

6. Do you think the CTA should add a snack-car to each train?:

No way, I don't think I could eat with the stench of pee in the air.

7. Speaking of, what was your favorite childhood snack?:

Homemade flour tortillas with butter. So nice. Thanks mom.

8. It's the year 2042 and our new robot government has insisted that we all eat the same breakfast every day, day after day. What would you choose?

McGriddles, I rarely get them but they're a treat. I would be totally happy with a McGriddle every morning.

9. What is your favorite comfort food meal? We’re talking wintery-cozy-belly-filling goodness here.:

Without a doubt, grilled cheese and tomato soup. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. I guess I know what's for dinner tomorrow. I make my grilled cheese with caramelized onions and avocado. I prefer my tomato soup creamy with chunky tomato bits, and topped with Parmesan cheese.

10. Give us the Rodney Dangerfield of veggies - what vegetable doesn’t get the respect it deserves?

Brussel Sprouts. I just had them for the first time a couple of years ago. I was thoroughly impressed. Sauteed with garlic and butter made them very tasty.

10. And finally, is Dippin' Dots really the ice cream of the future?

No thank you, I'm not interested.

2 comments:

dapeen said...

DUDE! We had quite the conversation about tortillas and butter once. VIVA MEXICANOS!!

the mando said...

thanks for the feature. Damn it feels good to be gansta...