7.20.2009

Dinner Party Disaster

My dear friend Kate (also City Veg contributor and "Voice of Meat" for this blog) recently bought a brand spanking new condo in Humboldt Park, and decided to have a few friends over for a summer dinner party. Well, what started out as fun for all, ended with one broken heirloom, 7 years of bad luck and possibly, a few broken hearts. (OK, I'm exaggerating about the broken hearts...or am I?)

The food itself was great, and Kate, ever the hostess, even did vegetarian because she knew my non-meat ass was joining.

Kate and Walter, enjoying the company.

We started out with this simple and classic salad - mesculan greens, fresh, blanched green beans, and new potatoes with a simple vinagrette. It is easy being green!

Tim really wanted that cheers from Hannah.

The main course was a recipe that Kate got from her brother (culinary goodness must run in their genes). For lack of better words, I'd call this Eggplant Roll-up. It was simply eggplant, sliced thin, stuffed with cheese, rolled up, dipped in batter, pan fried, covered in red sauce & mozzarella cheese and baked until crispy. Phew! Ok so maybe it's not so simple, but hearty vegetarian comfort food at its best. To go along with the meal, Kate also had HOMEMADE BREAD. Yes, it was amazing.

You may be wondering where the disaster came. Towards the end of the meal, somehow (I blame Desi), one of Kate's fancy-pants heirloom bowls got knocked off of the side table and shattered. As the pieces of ceramic were being cleaned up, I decided to shake things up a bit and knocked over Kate's mirror in the bathroom - shattering it into tiny shards of sharp glass. Yes, I am an amazing dinner guest and yes, I am now expecting 7 years of bad luck. But this, my friends, was a small price to pay for a great dinner with great company. See you all in 7 years!

Oops.

Walter was so broken-hearted by how the night unfolded, he hit the bottle.

8 comments:

Tim said...

Ha ha. Oh Walter.

Shockingly, Hannah has yet to even buy the glue needed to rebuild that plate.

Shannon Darling Dearest said...

oh Hannah!

Desi said...

Regina Daniels was R. Kelly's publicist. Apparently he slept with Regina's daughter. She was 21 though so it's all thanksgiving. Truely a night to remember.

Shannon Darling Dearest said...

Leave it to the King of R&B to bring the drama! Did you know he was married all this time too....crazy. I still can't deny my love for "I'm A Flirt".

Kelly said...

It isn't a successful dinner party without broken glass. Nice work folks!

Allyson said...

Cute alcoholic puppy! hehe

smitty said...

nice shoes, and i liked how you worked r. kelly into the conversation for no reason. i try to do that as much as possible. as my grandma always said - this is the remix to ignition.

Shannon Darling Dearest said...

Thanks Allyson! So cute but he does need some help to get off of the sauce...

And Smitty, your g-ma is my hero.

Step In The Name of Love,
Shan