7.13.2009

Cauliflower Soup with Blue Potatoes

When I first moved to Chicago from NYC, one of the things I missed the most was walking down to Union Square and picking up a bushel of vegetables to fill my coffers for the week. I of course checked out Green City Market, which was great in terms of variety and products offered, but I found it to be expensive. I was used to heading to the market with a crisp $20 and coming back to my little apartment with enough food for a few meals. I found at the Green City Market, my $20 didn't stretch quite as far.

Which is why I was happy to discover the every-Thursday Daley Plaza Farmer's Market. This was closer to what I had loved in NYC - $2 for a head of cabbage, two bags of fresh from the ground lettuce for $5.00, $2 for a fennel bulb, 1 pound of red and blue potatoes for $3, $1 for the largest head of cauliflower I've ever seen, and my splurge for the day - $5 for a carton of tart red currants.

I knew that with that large head of cauliflower, I would make a soup. Soup in the summer can seem weird but with the mild weather we've been having in Chicago, I knew it would work out just fine. And to add some texture and I hoped, color, to the soup, I decided to add in chunks of these fabulous blue potatoes. Just look at the color here!


Cauliflower Soup with Blue Potatoes
One large head of cauliflower (or 2 smaller ones)
Vegetable(or chicken) stock
2 cups of chopped blue potatoes
Olive oil
Ground Sage and celery salt
Salt and Pepper
Mozzarella cheese and diced pickled jalapenos for garnish
Immersion blender

1. Clean and cut up the cauliflower. Use both the florets and stalks.
2. Add to a pot of vegetable or chicken stock and bring to a boil
3. Cook until tender, add the potatoes and continue cooking until the potatoes are soft
4. Season with sage, celery salt, salt and pepper
5. Place your immersion blender into the pot and blend the soup until smooth. If you don't have an immersion blender, get one! Kidding...kidding. Just blend the soup in a regular blender or food processor
6. Serve with mozzarella cheese, diced pickled jalapenos for a bit of a kick and drizzle with olive oil

I was actually hoping that the potatoes would turn the soup a light blue color, but alas, they did not. I think next time I'll add more blue potatoes and see what we get...all in all, a delicious and not entirely out of place summer soup.


Daley Plaza (100 N - 50 W), North of Washington
Weekly: Every Thursday
From: May 14, 2009 to Oct 15, 2009
7 am - 3 pm
As soon as I start to see heirloom tomatoes here, I will let you dear readers know.

2 comments:

smitty said...

i want!

Clancy said...

that looks so yummy