5.19.2009

Shaw's In The City

Shaw's Crab House is one of those Chicago restaurants that I had always wanted to try. I heard its name in the same sentence as "you gotta go" more than once. So I made a trip there on a recent Wednesday night, on the look out for crab legs and oysters.

When you enter Shaw's, you are greeted by a Maitre'd and either taken to your table in the main, formal dining room, or given the option to sit at The Oyster Bar - a much more casual room to the left of the main entrance. Because tonight was all about indulgence, we chose the formal dining menu and were guided into a large yet welcoming room, full of rich wood and deep reds. Very country club with a twist.

We proceeded to eat our way through the wonderful seafood menu with nary a complaint, outside of some shaky service from a waitress that we decided must have been new. Overall, a classic seafood meal, delicious in every way. But don't forget your credit card - this meal, especially if you like crab legs, will set you back quite bit. I say take your parents here the next time they're in town and see if you can get them to foot the bill. (Kidding, Mom!)

Who says you can't have a bloody mary with dinner? Especially if they come garnished with a huge shrimp! Lindsay, take note.

Our first starter (that's right, there were two) was a blue crab & artichoke dip, which arrived perfectly scorched on the top. Looking back, we probably could have done without this but what the hell! It was tasty but it's hard to go wrong with cheese, artichoke and crab.

Our 2nd starter - the classic cold seafood appetizer. Oysters, crab meat, and more shrimp - this tower of seafood, made me want to eat all of my food from a tower. Maybe one day...

The main event, although it may look puny, was a half-order of Alaskan King Crab legs. A lot of delicate meat was hidding in these claws, and with that, I was officially stuffed.

Shaw’s Chicago
21 E. Hubbard St.
Chicago, IL 60611
312-527-2722

3 comments:

shooting from the hip said...

omg. i want that vat of cheesey artichoke dip in my gut NOW! x

Kate said...

I love Shaw's! I really prefer sitting in the bar as opposed to the dining room -- I've always had good service, plus I like the relaxed feel. Their tuna sampler is great as is their tuna and avocado tartare. The New England clam chowder is also quite good. Their lobster bisque isn't my favorite, but it will do in a pinch.

Shannon Darling Dearest said...

Oh, I'm actually a big fan of dining at the bar area of fancy restaurants. I'll have to check that out next time I'm at Shaw's!