5.21.2009

A Day With Pete

A few weeks ago, on one of the hottest days in Chi in recent memory, Peen and I decided to grill out at her dad's place. To load up on succulent veggies and for Peen, juicy steak, we headed over to Pete's Fresh Market, about 6 blocks west of my place. (Side note, check out the picture on the main page of their website. I'm pretty sure that the lady has a crop-top and belly button ring)

Pete's is HUGE, super clean, has anything you could want, and best of all, is really affordable. It's a local chain with 6 area locations, many of which are on the Southside. My recommendation for local readers - do your grocery shopping at Pete's. I mean, just take a look...

Legumes. Lots of them!

Queso Fresco, Queso Ranchito, Queso Cotija, Queso de Quesadilla - a queso lover's dream.

Yes, this is their citrus section and yes, you could do cartwheels in this place.


Peen's namesake drank - the Juego de Pina! Pineapple juice for all!

After our trip through Pete's magical mart, we headed south to Calumet City, Illinois and set up shop in Peen's dad's backyard. Rufus ran around, happy to have a yard of his own and we got to work on the food. First things first, drinks! I whipped together a Pear and Cilantro Margarita. It was delicious and dare I say it...beautiful. (brought a tear to my eye) Here's the recipe for those adventurous mixologists at home:

Pear and Cilantro Margarita
2 cups of tequila
1 cups of lime juice
1/2 cup of Cointreau
splash of soda water
1 pear, sliced
A handful of cilantro leaves
Ice

1. Wash and trim the stems off the cilantro
2. Cut the pear into slices
3. Mix everything and blend until frosty
4. Enjoy outside with BBQ

Veggie kabobs and margaritas. A perfect day, all thanks to Pete!

5 comments:

kjp said...

There is a Pete's right down the block from my school and I love shopping there too. A new buffet opened up next to it and I've been dying to go... It's called Allstyle Buffet. I think you should meet me there one day and we can do a posting about buffets! And since it's "Allstyle," it will be extra good!

Shannon Darling Dearest said...

Omg, a buffet called ALLSTYLE? We must go stat.

carbomb said...

That is indeed a girl in a mini-tweed jacket with a belly-ring. Their advertising is dripping with class!

reggie durp! said...

OH FUN!!!
in my hometown "pete" meant "poopy pants"..funny that someone would name their store after it but OH NO I JUST PETE

Shannon Darling Dearest said...

Reggie, quit Peet'ing!