4.23.2009

Spaghetti (Organic Sprouted-Wheat Pappardelle Pasta) and (Soy) Meatballs


After a long, long, long (long) week at work, I needed to refuel myself with a hearty bowl of comfort food. And what's more comforting than a big steaming plate of spaghetti and meatballs! Or in my case, Organic Sprouted Wheat Pappardelle Pasta with Soy Meatballs! Ha!

You might be wondering what exactly sprouted wheat pappardelle is. Pappardelle is an extra-wide fettucini, and sprouted wheat pasta is essentially a super wheat pasta.

Makers of sprouted grain pastas claim many health benefits for those who choose to pick the (usually) brown noodles - from weight control to protection against heart disease. I don't know if these health claims are true, but I do know that the sprouted wheat pasta is delicious - thicker and a bit chewier than traditional pasta, it adds a heartiness to any dish.

So with one trip to Trader Joe's and a can of diced tomatoes, you too can eat like a hippie!

Organic Sprouted Wheat Pappardelle Pasta with Soy Meatballs
Large can of diced tomatoes
One bag of Trader Joe's Sprouted Wheat Pasta
One bag of Soy Meatballs
Two cubes of Dorot Frozen Garlic
Two cubes of Dorot Frozen Basil
Onion Powder
Red Pepper Flakes or Kirmizi Biber
Mozarella cheese for garnish
Olive Oil

1) Bring water to a boil and add the pasta. Cook for 6-8 minutes.
2) While the pasta is cooking, combine the tomates, garlic, basil, soy meatballs, onion powder, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper in a saucepan. Simmer for about 20 minutes.


3) Combine with pasta and sauce, cook for 1 minute
4) Plate, drizzle with olive oil and garnish with mozarella cheese

Close-up of the Dorot frozen garlic and basil cubes. I am obsessed with these and think they're genius.

Amazing!

7 comments:

dapeen said...

God...I love food of the hippies

right sed ted said...

your hippie food looks really yummy. next time, i'll bring the patchouli. you -- dont shave for 8 weeks. yummmmmm

Desi said...

did you have Phish food for dessert?

VanessaRancine said...

Hi! You don't know me or anything, but I'm also a Chicago food blogger, and I just want to tell you how much I enjoy reading The City Vegetable. I also love the photographs that accompany your posts. Props to whoever does your photography - it's really beautiful. Back in March, I wrote a post about CSAs that you might find interesting: http://thedailyv.tumblr.com/post/88911249/question-do-you-know-where-your-salad-comes

Keep up the great writing! :)

smitty said...

um yes please. i gotta try those frozen thingy's

carbomb said...

I am so glad you did this post. I was literally holding a bag of the sprouted wheat pappardelle but didn't know if it would be too crunchy. Next time I shall buy it and surely love it.

dapeen said...

I almost put one of those cubes in my drink on Sat.