4.07.2009

Frango Time


There is a hidden gem on the 7th floor of Macy's on State Street. No I'm not talking about Rick Bayliss' Frontera Fresco, although I am obsessed with his tortilla soup. I speak of the little known Frango Cafe. Yes Frango, as in the old Chicago go-to, the Frango Mint.

Frango Mints originated in Seattle in the early-1900s but in 1929, the then Marshall Field's on State Street, bought the company and began to produce the chocolate mints on the 13th Floor of their store. So now, 6 floors below where the classic was made, many years ago, you can eat at the Frango Cafe. I'm such a sucker for things like that!

Frango Cafe has cozy booths (which will be an entire chapter in my "things restaurants should have" book), filling plates of delicious sandwiches and salads, and affordable prices. If you're downtown, and sick of Potbellys or Chipotle or Gold Coast Dog (holla!), head over to Macy's, ride the chocolate-express elevator straight to the 7th floor and get ready for a surprisingly delicious meal! (and all you Marshall Field's lovers-Macy's haters, don't let a little grudge get in between you and some yummy lunch)

These are seriously my favorite chips ever. Besides Cool Ranch Doritos...

I order this every time I go - a filling Greek Salad. The only thing missing is a few anchovies.

A classic club with a heaping of coleslaw

Frango Cafe
111 N State St.
(312) 781-1000

7 comments:

Theresa Largusa said...

Yummers! Growing up in the PacNW, giving and receiving Frangos was a pretty big deal. No holiday stocking was complete without those Frangos candies rolling around in the toe.

Stevie said...

shannon, my dog smells like cool ranch doritos. do you have this problem with yours?

Shannon Darling Dearest said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shannon Darling Dearest said...

@Thersa - so cool! I wonder if the Chicago versions and Seattle versions taste the same???

@Stevie - It's weird...bc so does mine. Did I tell you that one night? ha...also, can our dogs have a playdate???

carbomb said...

I need to get a job downtown.

shantybird said...

I love Frango Mints! I miss them so...My grandparents lived in Chicago for many years and always used to send boxes of them. Wish I could visit the Frango Cafe.

Tim said...

I've never had a Frango mint, but I want to try this place next time I'm in the loop.