3.23.2009

Steak 'N Egger (and hashbrowns and bacon and toast and...)


Bright and early on Saturday morning (like, 9:30 am! On a Saturday! I can't sleep in anymore. I think this means I'm old?) my tummy began to growl. RRRooooaaauuuuggggerrrl. So we decided to drive down Cermak about a mile for some diner food at the always open Steak 'N Egger. I'm a fan of Hollywood Grill on Ashland and North, but it was time to find a new place, in my 'hood.

The slogan at the tiny grill on this industrial part of Cermak is "We may doze, but we never close". At least they're honest!

Steve ordered the 2-2-2-2, which means 2 pancakes, 2 eggs 2 sausage patties, and 2 strips of bacon. Btw, they also have the 3-3-3-3. I'm hoping they add a 6-6-6, in honor of Slayer. And being that I'm trying my hardest to eat healthy, I did a mushroom and cheese omelette made with eggbeaters (yes, those creepy egg substitutes. no, I don't know what's really in them).

2-2-2-2 = 8?

Pre-condiment-ed

Post-condiment-ed. Ketchup AND hot sauce AND pico de gallo

Acting cool at the Egger

Bottom line, if you're looking for 24-hour hearty cheap eats, with character and friendly waitresses, this is your place. I think next time, I need to investigate the scene at 3 am. I have a feeling it would be a bit different, considering the large sign in the front of the eatery that reads "Unruly behavior of any kind will not be tolerated". Anyone with me?

PS - We encountered this car-artwork on the way back from food. Simply amazing.

6 comments:

Raining Blood said...

This post is increyible. If it teaches us anything, it is NEVER DOZE. Also, rock Slayer at every opportunity. That's right - www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUDWLp1yIWw

dapeen said...

that's some growl

Mike said...

that is called cartwork...

carbomb said...

I feel like there should be a 2-2-2-2 Peen rap about the Egger DOZE.

Shannon Darling Dearest said...

ah cartwork! that little appreciated art! thx Mike

Shannon Darling Dearest said...

Peen - get on that stat.