3.10.2009

Floyd's

On a recent blustery Sunday, I met a few friends for a lazy day of food and drink at Bucktown bar Floyd's. I had never been to Floyd's but instantly felt at home. When the space opened in 2004, the owner described it as a "really clean dive bar with really good food" and I can't think of a more accurate description. It's a great casual spot with more than just your regular pub food. I had a delicious bowl of cream of tomato basil soup and a hearty vegetarian burger, while my dining companions enjoyed burgers with very very generous piles of tater tots. (side note, I feel like tater tots are the hot new side, popping up on menus everywhere! anyone?)


But the big surprise of the day was the bloody mary. Being the connoisseur that I am, my standards are set very high and I've had my fair share of bad and boring bloody marys. But Floyd's managed to make the classic drink their own - by doctoring up their own mix, adding a pickle cushioned by a slice of provolone cheese and dusting generous amounts of celery salt around the rim. Very very good - nicely done Floyd's!

3 comments:

Bloody Mary's Cousin, Mike said...

I love Floyd's. Like it says on the menu and behind the bar -- "Come for the food... Stay and get drunk."

carbomb said...

Damn. That Bloody looks good.

Capt. Claudius C. Claytonmorehead, Bucktown Chamber of Commerce Commissioner said...

Um, exqueeze me. I believe Armitage/Oakley ith Bucktown? Can you please insert a bucktown tag? Thankyou. Gnarf.