3.23.2009

Cayce's Morsels


Enjoy the morsels of gourmet chef Cayce!
Cayce M.
Age: 23
Occupation: International Woman of Mystery (Yeah Baby, Yeah!)
Resides in: splits time between Lincoln Park and Gold Coast

1. Favorite band with some sort of food in its name:
Recently I saw the Queen of Blues, Koko Taylor, and I’ve really gotten into raw Cacao Powder – it’s a super food with lots of magnesium and other good stuff (admittedly I was at Kingston Mines – not so bad after a few). B.B. King, makes me of summertime BBQ’s – but I only have passing interest. Diana Ross and the Supremes, their name reminds me of Lemon Chiffon Pie or something lush and tasty!

2. Give us your favorite vegetable and how you like it prepared:
I’m on a really big Jicama kick right now. It’s really versatile. I like to dice it and mix it with pear chunks, celery, cranberries, lime juice, a little mayo, a dash of ginger, cinnamon, and S&P. I had it tonight in some homemade chicken fajitas. The jicama was mixed with lime juice, thin cut strips of mango and red onion to nest atop the chicken. It’s also really good with watermelon, fresh mint, lime, olive oil, S&P, and small bits of mozzarella. Weird I know, but oh so good!

3. If you could only eat 1 flavor of ice cream for the rest of your life, what would it be?
I agree with my brother on this one – unfair question. I love “Superman” from Kilwin’s (I don’t know who else has it); it’s bright blue, pink and yellow with a light fruity taste and turns your mouth blue! Also, the ginger ice cream that I made a few holiday seasons ago with bits of crystallized ginger. I just seriously patted myself on the back there, oops!

4. Favorite food show:
I have a morbid fascination with the BBC’s You Are What You Eat. They take how ever many pounds people are overweight or eat in a week and find ways to create visuals – like 115 pounds of butter shaped like a person. I also like Anthony Bourdain because he’s such a badass. He’s like a rock star: sex, drugs and beating snake hearts!

5. Please describe your ideal 2 am drunken feast:
Mmmm, whatever I feel like at the moment that I can easily access.

6. Favorite steak-house side dish:
Hands down #1 is sesame green beans, from Rosebud Steakhouse. They’re the tits – for reals. #2 is probably mashed potatoes, or really thin waffle cut potato chips/fries.

7. If you live in Chicago, give us your favorite restaurant here in
Chi-town. If not, share with us the number one spot in your city
:
The Original Pancake house! I get the Dutch Baby almost every time I go. But for more upscale Sweets and Savories. The dining room only seats like 30-40 people. The food is high quality, still not cheap but it’s not gonna set you back the way a trip to Alinea or Chucky T.’s (Charlie Trotter’s) might.

8. How do you take your coffee?
Toasted Almond large coffee with milk and sugar from Dunkin’ Donuts. I get it with cream once a month because it’s too good and I usually feel like taking a nap afterwards – ironic, no?

9. Top 3 condiments:
• Fresh mango salsa (the texture is more like pico de gallo – very fresh)
• Mustard (stone ground Dijon mustard is my fave)
• Lemons – anything with fresh lemons

10. How do you like d'em apples?
Again, I side with my broham. There’s just nothing like mom’s baked apples with a bit of maple syrup and a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

2 comments:

El Jicama Jefe, Jeff. said...

Jicama is technically a fruit. I think. Well played...

Frankie Fruit Advocate said...

Wait -- the city fruit?!? You're wrong!!