1.11.2009

Twisted Spoke Sundays


I don't know when it started but over the years, I've grown very fond of that classic brunch-time drink, the Bloody Mary. The savory concoction of nutrient-rich tomato juice, and hair-on-the-chest vodka, cools me in the summer, and warms me up in the dead of winter. It's my go-to drink. And because of this, I've become somewhat of a connoisseur. I pick my brunch spots and bars based on the strength of their bloody marys. Some may say I'm a bloody mary snob.

This, my friends, is the reason that most Sundays, you can find me at Twisted Spoke. The "family biker bar" in West Town, serves their ultimate blood mary with olives, cocktail onions, pepperocinis, salami, parmesan cheese, & a beer chaser...and is one of the best I've had. They even sell their mix for the super fans and I've been known to pick up a bottle every now and then for the homemade version. On top of the bloodies, the food is solid, with breakfast tacos and various fried foods taking the top spots on the menu.

A T-Bone and Eggs

So I'll leave you with the ingredients to my TOP SECRET Bloody Mary recipe (as influenced by Lindsay and Twisted Spoke):
•Tabasco Brand or Twisted Spoke Spicy Bloody Mary Mix
•Worcestershire
•Creamy Horseradish
•Lime and Lemon Juice
•Tabasco
•Celery Salt
•A Splash of Guinness
•A Smidgen of Onion Powder
•Fresh Ground Pepper
•Pickles, cocktail onions, pickled green beans, and celery for garnish

Mix to taste and enjoy on your next lazy Sunday.

6 comments:

Pirate Zehra said...

amazing. I want one right now. yumm.

dapeen said...

Lindsay's bloodys kill the Spokes...hands down

carbomb said...

Hey, dats my hand der...

Shannon Darling Dearest said...

omg, you are SO chicago! ditka!

smitty said...

hey shanny, don't forget the vodka!

my brother swears that the order of ingredients is the trick. it goes something like this:
- ice
- ground black pepper (directly on the ice)
- THEN worcestershire sauce
- THEN vodka
- THEN bloody mary mix
- THEN whatever else you add for flava
then mix it all up with your celery stalk!

Shannon Darling Dearest said...

Thx Smitty - I'll have to give it the ole' Smith try next time I mix one up!