1.01.2009

Avant Garde Ice Cream. Haut!

I first read about Jeni's Ice Creams, based in Columbus, OH, about a year ago in the New York Times Dining Section. The article, which detailed Jeni's very interesting ice cream flavors, stayed with me and I ended up sending 6 pints to my mom this year for Christmas. Check out these flavors:

Salty Caramel - very VERY salty, some people thought it was too salty but since I basically could eat a spoonful of salt plain and like it, I loved this one

Cranberry Royale Sorbet - my favorite, super tart and a beautiful maroon color

Bourbon EggNog - quite good, nice little aftertaste of alcohol

Goat Cheese with Cognac Fig Sauce - I was most excited about trying this one but it turned out to be my least favorite. Don't get me wrong, it was still good, but the flavors weren't strong enough

Olive Oil with Salty Pepitas - This is the creamiest ice cream I've ever had and the favorite flavor of most of my family of tasters. The beauty was in its simplicity

Lime Cardamom Yogurt w/ Lingonberries - This was my 2nd favorite flavor - tart lime and peppery cardamon, accented with little purple Lingonberries - a masterpiece!

At about $70 for 6 pints, this gift doesn't break the bank is a lot of fun for the recipient. Even better if you're there to taste the exotic flavors as well! (Next time, I'm going to order Jeni's Thai Chile and Riesling Poached Pear Sorbet)

No comments: