12.03.2008

Pizza At Home

My friend Smitty had the opportunity to travel to Jordan and Israel earlier this year. I was so jealous. I'm obsessed with traveling to that part of the world - ever since I spent 4 weeks studying in Morocco in college, and last August, a week in Turkey. But alas, my wanderlust will have to wait until I'm rolling in some more dough. So I lived vicariously through her gorgeous pics and that was just fine. But last week, a little box arrived at my house, from Smitty herself, with some gifts from Jordan! There was a sea salt mixture for bathing (ahhh), handmade artisan olive oil soap and a bag of herbs described as "Thyme Extra". Exactly what the "extra" was, I had no idea. But it was delicious and the perfect accompaniment for something cheesy and gooey....pizza! I worked up a plan - caramelized onions, mozzarella and cheddar cheese, and thyme extra!

I got whole wheat dough from Trader Joe's for 99cents. Such a deal! Being a true pizza artist, I tried to form the dough into the shape of Ohio.

Caramelizing the onions, a little red wine was added at the end to deglaze the pan and add richness.

Seriously yummmm. 100% yumness.

4 comments:

Tim said...

Jesus, that looks excellent. I ate some egg salad from TJ's tonight, but it burned my tongue so I figured I'd stop. Weird.

thymehead said...

that was sssooooooooooooooooo gooooooooooddddddddddddddddd. ohmigod.

ps - the thyme "extra" looks like some special herbs alright..

Sarah said...

yay!

Shannon Darling Dearest said...

Tim, egg salad that burns your tongue is very strange...