12.22.2008

Mom's Morsels - Holiday Edition

In honor of the holidays, my mom's submitted to the morsel quiz! I've added a few holiday specific questions so grab your eggnog, cozy up to a fire (or radiator) and enjoy!

Mama Fitz
Age: 54
Occupation: Director Leadership Programs/McKinney Chamber of Commerce and Asst. Editor for McKinney Living Magazine
Resides in: McKinney, Texas - the center of the universe, as John Rattan always tells me!

1. Favorite holiday song that mentions food:
The Christmas Song - you know, "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire..."

2. Give us your favorite vegetable and how you like it prepared:
Asparagus - toss with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic - grill or roast. Yummy!

3. If you could only eat 1 flavor of holiday pie for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Apple-Cranberry, I think.

4. Favorite food show:
Anthony Bourdain's show - can't remember the name right now - and Iron Chef America

5. Please describe your ideal 2 am post-holiday meal snack:
A chocolate covered fresh raspberry with a nice sip of Baileys

6. Favorite steak-house side dish:
Caesar Salad

7. If you live in Chicago, give us your favorite restaurant here in
Chi-town. If not, share with us the number one spot in your city
:
In McKinney, my fave spot to have a drink and meet friends would be the bar at Rick's Chophouse. So fun and the bartenders and servers are so attentive - is it bad when the bartenders know you by name? A really great atmosphere! For food...I don't eat out much but love San Miguel's for Mexican and Spoons Cafe for casual.

8. How do you take your coffee?
Strong, touch of Splenda and 1/2 & 1/2 - brew it directly into the cup and get that great crema on the top. Marvelous!

9. Top 3 condiments:
Olive oil, kosher salt, salsa

10. How do you like d'em apples?
A great, tart crunchy Pink Lady apple - cut and cored - with peanut butter spread on it

11. What's your favorite holiday food?
Champagne!

12. Do you own the Amy Grant Xmas CD? Be honest!
Okay, okay...I have TWO!!! But I have others, too, so don't hold Amy Grant against me!

13. Eggnog, mulled wine, apple cider, all of the above or other?
Hot Buttered Rum - I make the BEST!

14. Give us an example of a Texas holiday meal, from start to finish!
Well...I'm not a true Texan but have lived here about 20 years. Christmas Eve is usually chili and oyster stew - leftover from my mid-western roots. I remember as a kid going to my Grandma Hansen's house every Christmas Eve. My Aunt Grace, who lived with Grandma, had a bottle of Mogan David(wine) in the refrigerator. After chili and oyster stew we always had my Grandma's Danish Tea Ring (she was Danish - came to America on a boat at age 16 by herself - amazing!) But, as she got older the tea ring kept getting drier and drier - no one complained.

Fast forward to Texas: Last year we did a Mexican feast catered by San Miguels with some of our own touches: Mexican Cheesecake with Salsa & Chips and Guacamole, Cheese Enchiladas, Chicken Enchiladas, Tamales, and Beans and Rice. Dessert: can't remember but I'm sure it was wonderful. I just remember relaxing with a Bailey's at the end. Holidays - always hectic but wonderful - what better times than sharing food and family!

2 comments:

dapeen said...

Mama Deb loves dem Mexicans! Best post---besides my raps. Great morsels Deb.

Javier, friend to most. said...

Thank you Mama Fitz for serving up to the world the darlingest export from Texas, Lady Shannon Fitz!