12.07.2008

Beer-Braised Burnt Cabbage with Parmesan

I headed over to Lindsay's house tonight for a little bad-TV watching and decided to bring over a head of cabbage that needed to be cooked soon, (yes, I am the best kind of visitor, I bring cabbage!) and I know Lindsay loves the humble vegetable. In the middle of Ty Pennington, Behind-The-Scenes, our tummies started to growl and we decided to put together some dinner. She worked on the salad - spinach leaves, chopped hearts of palm, artichoke hearts, beets, and crumbled goat cheese. My job was the cabbage. I wasn't sure what to do with it so I heated up some olive oil, chopped it into strips and dumped the veggie into a wide saucepan. I started poking around her fridge to see how I could spice this up and found Parmesan cheese and of course, some beer. Jackpot!

Beer-Braised Burnt Cabbage with Parmesan
Head of green cabbage
White vinegar
Parmesan cheese
Olive Oil
Butter
Salt and Pepper
A bottle of good beer (or Miller High Life if you have champagne tastes)

1. Heat olive oil in a large pan, chop the cabbage head into strips, and drop into the hot oil
2. Stir until coated with oil, add a cup or so of white vinegar, a little water, a few pats of butter and cook for about 15 minutes, until the cabbage is starting to soften. Add a few tablespoons of Parmesan.
3. Pour 3/4 of a bottle of beer into the pan. The cabbage should be almost covered by the beer. Cook until the beer is almost totally evaporated.
4. Turn the heat up and stir often, cooking until some of the cabbage begins to char. Add a few more sprinkles of Parmesan, if you so please, and serve to hungry friends!
A meal fit for bad reality-TV addicts!

Zach the cat ate our leftovers. Wait, there weren't any leftovers, duh!

No comments: