10.27.2008

Spicy Lentil Barley Soup

Having grown up near Dallas, I developed a hot sauce habit as a young'un. I started off pretty mild, adding the ever-present salsa to any and everything. But the older I got, the hotter I needed my condiments. Soon I was onto Louisiana Hot Sauce, red pepper flakes, and sambal. Pizza too bland? Get the sauce. Baked potatoes need some kick? That's right, grab the hot sauce bottle. Salad too boring? Spice it up! (jk, I do not put hot sauce on salad...unless it's a taco salad. Then it totally works)

So tonight, when I decided to make some lentil soup to warm me up, the spice beckoned and I created "Spicy Lentil Barley". And it is delicious.

Here's the recipe. I say the hotter, the better.

1 large onion
bag of lentils
bag of barley
vegetable broth
cumin
coriander
pickled jalapenos
cayenne pepper
salt and pepper
sour cream for garnish

1. Saute the onion until golden. Yumm


2. Add lentils, barley, broth, cumin, coriander, a pinch of cayenne, and salt & pepper


3. Boil until lentils and barley are soft. Add finely chopped pickled jalapenos to taste.


4. Finish with sour cream to cool some of the heat, jalapeno garnish and feta cheese. It's enough to make a Texan mama proud!


Two full and happy boys.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

i made soup last night too! yummy. mine never looks as pretty as yours though.