10.15.2008

Plastic Trays and Styrofoam Plates - Guest Blog by Ms. Plechaty

In honor of National School Lunch Week, I asked my friend and teacher, Ms. P, to give us some insight into the lunches at her school's cafeteria. If this post brings up old memories about your favorite cafeteria exploits, please share with us in the comments!


Nearly 10 years ago I graduated from a standard Illinois public school in the south suburbs of Chicago. And during my 4 years at that school, though I was a brown bagger, I occasionally ate the school’s hot lunches despite the fact that one time, during my sophomore year, a friend found a tooth in his pork fritter.

Now that I’m teaching at a Chicago Public High School, I have the random need or urge to eat those school lunches again. Sometimes I forget my lunch or had nothing at home to bring and am too lazy to walk across the street to Subway, China Ho, or Bacci’s (and really, are those places any better for me?) Sometimes I just really want bad nachos or canned vegetables. Sometimes I just want to experiment. So when I do eat at school, I somehow manage to overlook the fact that the ingredients in these lunches are of the poorest grade and if they have any nutritional value, it’s not good.



This past Thursday was one such day that I forgot my lunch from home. It was a perfect excuse for me to get the nachos and fulfill Shannon’s request for this blog post. Good bad nachos can’t be beat. Who doesn’t love the grainy, round, sunshine yellow chips? Or the spicy “cheese” that comes with or without a layer of skin? And personally, I always opt for the ground beef that is so finely ground it melts in your mouth. Ms. Kerr, do you agree??? I also got a couple sides of canned vegetables and chocolate milk to finish off my lunch. I do not regret my choices.



Since I was doing this post, I took a pictures of a Ms. Jone's lunch choice. In this pics you will see the ubiquitous chicken sandwich. You will notice the mashed potatoes and gravy. These are school lunch staples that hopefully bring many lovely high school memories back to life for you.



I've also included a pic or Mr. Connelly and his lunch from home. Maybe he's super health conscious or has bad h.s. lunch memories, but he never ever buys lunches from school. And as a side note, he's afraid of the lunch ladies.



And finally I have a pic of Ms. Ayala's lunch from home. I think this pic could be a stock photo of what a traditional brown bag lunch should look like.


Next time I venture into the lunch line and decide on something other that the nachos, I will be sure to blog again...

4 comments:

dapeen said...

holy jesus - that was awesome and gross at the same time Kate. Can I meet you for lunch at your school sometime?

kjp said...

you want to have school lunch??? or you want to meet me at school and we go somewhere for lunch??? either way sounds great to me...

dapeen said...

i want to treat you to all of the delicacies that your school has to offer.

rickie said...

if delicacies include nachos like those pictured above, sign me up!!