10.19.2008

The Great Pumpkin Visits Chicago

Today was our Concord Place Fall Party! Friends came bearing pumpkins. Pumpkins from Jewel, Trader Joe's and yes, even Aldi! It was the perfect weather for a celebration of the best season - crisp, cool, and sunny - and we had veggie chili, mulled wine, apple cider, and roasted pumpkin seeds. Here's a little breakdown of the day so that you too can celebrate the greatest of seasons with a little daytime drinking, eating and competitive gourd carving. We started off with a major trip to Trader Joe's on Clybourn. Then I started the veggie chili...

Diced red and white onions and garlic

The addition of chopped zucchini and mushrooms

With corn and diced tomatoes

My arsenal of secret seasonings

The final product, after 3 cans of crushed tomatoes, black and kidney beans, lots of taste testing, and an hour of simmering. Delish!

Next up - the mulled wine. The recipe was simple - combine a giant lowbrow bottle of red wine(or a jug of Carlo & Rossi, college style), lemon slices, 4-5 cinnamon sticks, a few teaspoons of honey, and some nutmeg in a saucepan. Heat for about 15 minutes but do not boil. Serve warm!

Before

After

Now that your guests are full and drunk, time to bust out the sharp knives! And carve some pumpkins.

Kate digs in

Pumpkin insides

Friends getting serious about their pumpkin designs. Secretly competitive? I think so.

Lindsay tried to make her pumpkin into Robert DeNiro

Smash disapproves

Carmen and her amazing design!

This pumpkin has amazing eyebrows

All lit up! Photo by Carmen Hernandez

So today I learned that the Great Pumpkin obviously exists! And if you make mulled wine, your friends will come over and help you celebrate fall in style. Now I'm off to NYC for the week so happy fall Chicago and I'll see you when I get back!

4 comments:

Tim said...

Great pictures, but, where's mine?! I think I might take it home for my courtyard anyway.

Pirate Zehra said...

I love these! I'm displaying the Shannon Pumpkin at my pad.

emily said...

aw we had pumpkin parties on the same day. miss you guys!

Tim said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!