9.29.2008

The Time Of The Violet


My mom was in town last week and we decided to take her to the very trendy Violet Hour. The idea was that she wouldn't find a place like this back in McKinney, TX.

The unmarked door on Damen Ave. leads to a hallway with a giant velvet curtain (was it a violet curtain? I'm not sure). Once you get through the curtain, you enter a candle lit room and are seated at chairs with exaggerated high backs.


The drink menu is separated by type of liquor - whiskey, tequila, gin, vodka, brandy, rum. And the ingredients are exotic and interesting. I had a sloe gin cocktail which included bitters and egg whites, which made the drink frothy. My mom had the classic Pimms Cup, which she loved, and Steve had a tequila cocktail. I'm a sucker for a bar with a cocktail menu - especially if that menu includes things like pineapple-infused beefeater, rosewater, ginger syrup, and chocolate bitters.


hipster tested and mother approved

I would like them to add a cocktail utilizing my favorite cocktail ingredient, Gorgonzola-stuffed green olives...if anyone can do something new with that, I know The Violet Hour can!

1 comment:

Pirate Zehra said...

Mmmmm.. those olives look amazing!! Your blog keeps making me hungry!