9.30.2008

Old Timey Liquor Cabinet


On my most recent trip to visit my grandparents, I was rummaging around through all their old stuff. I always do. No matter how many times I look in their cabinets and closets, I always find something new (well, new to me), whether it is a massive collection of vinyl (The Best of Jack Benny anyone?) or a collection of slides from when they lived in Germany, my grandparents' stuff never fails to entertain me.

This time around, I found their liquor cabinet!

It was full of all your standards, and some of the bottles were so old, we had to use pliers to get them to open. But standing next to the bottles of Bacardi and Smirnoff, were some liquors I had never even heard of, so I did some research. Have any of you ever tried these spirits? I imagine some of them were popular "back in the day".

•Tia Maria: a coffee liqueur, resembling Kahlua but produced in Jamaica using Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee Beans

•Cherry Kijafa: a Danish cherry-based wine

•Galliano: properly known as Liquore Galliano L'Autentico, Galliano a sweet herbal liqueur created in 1896 by Italian distiller and brandy producer Arturo Vaccari of Livorno in Tuscany. Among its approximately 30 herbal ingredients are star anise, Mediterranean anise, ginger, and citrus and vanilla.

•Cherry Heering: another Danish cherry drink, a liqueur that has been in production since 1818! It may have even been in their cabinet since then!

•Cream Sherry: a sweet sherry which has been aged longer then normal to provide a richer flavor. My grandmother said that when they lived in Germany, it was common to have a small glass of sherry at lunch.

•Creme de Banana: quite simple, a sweet banana flavored brandy

•Sloe Gin: a gin flavored with sloe berries, which are relatives of the plum

•Kamora: I couldn't find much on this one, other than the fact that it is a coffee liqueur

4 comments:

Madeleine said...

I really like this post, Shannon! Are these really out of date? Because if they are...well, you know how the rest of the phrase goes. Sadly, I have had many Tia Maria and milk (it was stocked in my local bars back when I was living in Brussels) and I think even in Brighton, UK, and sloe gin was in a bar called the Coach House I fruqented with my grandmother back in Kentucky and is currently making its way back into bars in NYC according to a recent TONY article, Creme de Banana I believe I've had a taste of. Ok, so I was raised a bar baby, a term my family affectionately uses for me and my brother. I'm very interested in the others you mentioned! Galliano sounds like a sweet, alcoholic version of bitters -- did you get a taste of that? Did you dare to drink the rest?

Shannon Darling Dearest said...

I tried the Galliano - it was VERY sweet but me thinks it would be good on ice! Some of the others I think were just too old to drink...

Nermler said...

that's so crazy! i just love sweet wines. might have a glass right now!

dapeen said...

Shannon I thought you sampled the sloe gin quite often....because you are so very sloe